The newly-built Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital & Research Centre (HBCH&RC), Mullanpur, a unit of the prestigious Tata Memorial Centre, will now actively collaborate with hospitals and medical colleges of Chandigarh at different levels.
Dr Dharampal, Adviser to Administrator Chandigarh held a meeting with the Director of the Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital & Research Centre, Mullanpur, Punjab and officers of the Health Department Chandigarh.
The health institutes mutually agreed to train young students/ post graduates and to exchange their expertise/facilities for comprehensive cancer screening, early detection & treatment and special cancer awareness in Chandigarh.
How will it Benefit Chandigarh Hospitals?
1. Technical support to Chandigarh Administration in improving cancer care services across the Chandigarh.
2. Enhancing/ improving Hospital Based Cancer Registry and Population based cancer registries in Chandigarh
3. Human resource capacity building and Training of Public health workers from various departments for cancer prevention & cancer management with financial support of the Chandigarh Administration.
4. Establishment of preventive oncology service at hospitals and medical colleges in Chandigarh in phase wised manner, wherever required.
5. Enhancing/ improving Palliative care for terminally-ill people at various government run hospitals
6. To set up patient referral system for cancer patients for further management at Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital, Chandigarh
How will Health Dept, Chandigarh, Contribute?
The Health Department, Chandigarh Administration will facilitate the use of infrastructure of government health institutes, as deemed appropriate by Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital for conducting on-site training programs.
The department shall depute students and staff from various departments for training at HBCHRC, New Chandigarh, Punjab.
Post postgraduate students from various specialities will receive brief training in HBCHRC. Senior nurses from various government hospitals will obtain oncology training at HBCHRC.
Health Department, Chandigarh Administration will enhance cancer day care facility for basic oncology surgery and the administration of chemotherapy drugs to the cancer patients at various hospitals in Chandigarh, wherever required.
How Will Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital Chandigarh Contribute?
HBCH&RC will provide single person of contact from HBCH&RC, Punjab to the Health Department, Chandigarh Administration for smooth coordination.
Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital Chandigarh will provide technical assistant in establishment of cancer hospitals that are planned in Chandigarh with regards to preparation of DPR, purchase of equipment, manpower planning and related activities.
HBCH&RC will provide technical support for training and capacity building of health services staff for surveillance, early detection, screening, prevention and treatment of cancer and follow-up after primary treatment.
HBCH&RC, Punjab shall provide technical support for virtual/onsite training on cancer and tobacco control programs for the health services staff with prior permission from Health Department, Chandigarh Administration.
HBCH&RC, Punjab shall give in-house training to nominated medical officers /staff nurses of the Health Department, Chandigarh Administration at HBCH&RC, Punjab. The duration of training will be 2 to 6 months. The accommodation, food facility and daily allowance charges of the health services staff will be borne by HBCH&RC.
How will The Collaboration Help Common Man?
It is expected with the mutual co-operation of these organisations/ establishment; the UT Chandigarh will be able to screen the larger population for early detection of cancer and to provide better patient care.